(8) Quinnipiac vs. (9) Providence (home and home)Friday and Saturday at 3:00 PM
- Team Czech Republic upset Switzerland 3-1. Switzerland played well against Japan and Nana Fujimoto, winning 4-2, in the first day of the tournament. The Czechs weren't expected to beat any of the teams handily that had been in the top division for some time, but they triumphed in what ended up being a special teams battle, killing all but one penalty that was awarded to them, and putting up two PP goals on Florence Schelling.
- Sweden beat Japan 2-0; the Japanese offense only mustered 16 shots, but the usually-solid Sara Grahn was perfect. Nana Fujimoto stopped 30 of 32. Pernilla Winberg scored the game-winner, unassisted, early in the third period. The Swedes later added a PPG from Emma Eliasson.
- Team Canada obliterated Russia 8-1. Charline Labonté had 12 saves. While Russia scored the first goal, Canada started the second period with a vengeance and by the end of 40 minutes had racked up a 6-1 lead, and added their final two goals in the third period. Canada played an incredibly undisciplined final frame though, and were whistled for five consecutive minor penalties. Rebecca Johnston picked up where she left off after the Clarkson Cup Final, with a goal and three assists. Her goal was the game-tying tally that got Canada rolling:
- As for Team USA, they pulled out an incredibly tight 2-1 win against Team Finland. Michelle Karvinen scored first for Finland, taking a nifty pass 2-on-1 from Riikka Välilä and burying it behind Jessie Vetter.
The WWC teams have the day off today. Tomorrow the Czech Republic faces Japan at 4:00PM Eastern/1:00PM Pacific; USA faces Russia at 6:30PM Eastern/3:30PM Pacific; Sweden faces Switzerland at 8:00PM Eastern/5:00PM Pacific, and Canada faces Finland at 10:30PM Eastern/7:30PM Pacific.
(Photo credit: IIHF Hockey/Twitter)
Filed under: iihf women's world championships; team usa; team canada; team sweden; team finland; ice hockey; team switzerland; team russia; team japan
We are entirely reader supported. Consider supporting this work with a SUBSCRIPTION or making a secure, one-time donation via PAYPAL.